14 May 2010

Interesting

The class i'm currently taking is a hands-on class about healing.  Some time ago now, Dr. John Upledger discovered that working with certain rhythms within the body (the CranioSacral rhythm, which much of current medical model doesn't even yet recognize) would help a person heal & often very dramatically.  


Because this rhythm is very subtle, the work is gentle & also very subtle.  This spills over into energy work & other "woo-woo" practices.  Yet it does work & often very powerfully.


Yesterday in class i was looking at the group formations & how they were doing certain energy-healing techniques.  What i found most fascinating was that the groups looked like some prayer-healing groups i have attended.  (Okay, i think i've only been to 2 or 3 of these, but the groupings looked similar.  Also the stance & attitude of the folks involved.)  


I think i've said before that "new age" stuff doesn't scare me.  I find that often they have "tapped into" something that God has created.  The folks who credit "the universe" or something similar just haven't met the author & creator of the energy/techniques which they are using.

 

That is how i see much of the work in this particular workshop.  I don't know the beliefs of Dr. Upledger, but it seems to me that he has "discovered" much of the type of healing that is done by prayer & laying on of hands.


I am not ashamed of Jesus, nor to be affiliated with Christ our Lord, but i do hesitate to identify myself as "Christian."  It seems to me that the meaning of that word is largely lost in our society, & identifying myself as "Christian" can lead to many misunderstandings.


On break today i mentioned to another lady that i am a Christian & how that the work we'd done the day before reminded me of laying on of hands/prayers for healing.


Her comment was that she is a Christian, but that she doesn't believe that Jesus is the only way to God.  She mentioned other "enlightened" prophets thru the centuries.  I wasn't as blunt as to tell her that not believing Jesus is the only path to God by default/definition means that she is not a Christian, but i did discuss the various beliefs, & how that Jesus, to Christian belief, is unique among all the "enlightened prophets."


This does seem to be common in our culture:  Believing that simply having a belief in "God" or a "higher power" makes on a Christian.  


Right or wrong, good or bad, (even tho this sounds rigid & i don't like that) to be "Christian" requires more than just "belief."  It isn't a vague set of values.  It requires a commitment & sometimes it requires things i don't personally care for.  I don't fully understand God as presented by the Bible (& you could be worried about me if i said that i do).  There is much about God that i'm not even sure i like.  


But i do believe that God is good.  That he loves us & expressed that love by sending Jesus.  That to reject Jesus is to reject God.  


So, even tho i don't understand, i trust that what he says is true.  


I don't know where i'm going with this post.  Just recording some observations about the class & this lady's comments which i found interesting.


17

2 comments:

Deni said...

Such a GREAT post! First of all, I've had Cranio-sacral therapy, and it works! I moved about 9 months ago and have been too lazy to find someone here, but I think I'm going to do that now! I think that you are absolutely right that these techniques are ways that God is working through us, just like any modern medicine, and just because you use something different doesn't make it wrong. I can totally see the parallel between CST and laying on of hands! That's such a great anology! I am loving reading your posts, as I can see so much of things that my husband struggles with in religion reflected in your writing, which you do beautifully!

I also agree with you that the lady did negate her own Chritianity with that definition. It really excites me to read ideas and confusions from other Christians, as I think too many times, people think there should be no questions, no confusion, you should just blindly follow, and I believe that God wants to see us question, wants us to truly SEEK Him! I will be reading more for sure!

Kathryn said...

Wow. I love your enthusiasm for my writing! ;)

Thank you for stopping by. (I'll email you directly about the celiac/GF stuff.)

I've found CST - & its very gentle application - to be so very powerful in healing. I hope you're able to find a good practitioner soon.

Followers

About Me

My photo
Wife, wanted to be a mama - not going to happen, massage therapist, child of God. I can be emailed at: 4Kat2009@gmail.com